THE LEONARD FOUNDATION
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
1. The Leonard Foundation scholarships are awarded to students enrolled or enrolling in an accredited undergraduate degree program in a College or University in Canada. The institutions must be open to all without restriction except for an academic standard. Applicants must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
2. Students must be enrolled in their first undergraduate program as a full-time student. A student is considered to be full-time if he/she has enrolled for a program's full year credit. Only students pursuing a B.Ed or M.Div are eligible for continuing support.
3. All applicants will be considered but preference will be given to
daughters or sons of ordained clergy, licensed elementary or secondary school teachers, Canadian military personnel, graduates of a Canadian Military College, members of the Engineering Institute of Canada and members of the Mining and Metallurgical Institute of Canada. Preference is also given to those who have previously received an award from The Leonard Foundation.
4. The value of the award is usually $1,000.00 for those who do not need to set up a second residence to attend university and $1,500.00 for those who do. These amounts may vary according to the final decisions of the General Committee. Approximately 140 awards are made annually.
5. Successful applicants are expected to obtain employment during free time to help defray the costs of their education. In addition, they must participate regularly in athletic, fitness or military activities. Personal qualities showing a potential for leadership are also a requirement.
6. Colonel Reuben Wells Leonard wanted this financial assistance to go to individuals who, without it, would not be able to obtain a degree. For that reason, a true financial need must be demonstrated. Those still living with their families and whose gross total annual income, including "in kind" benefits exceeds from $55,000.00 to $60,000.00 are not likely to be accepted. Those applicants who have permanently resided outside of the family home for an extended period will be required to supply detailed financial information. It is recognized that some of this information is somewhat personal; however, to fulfill the requirements of the donor, it is required. If you do not wish to divulge this information, the General Committee will not be able to make a reasoned decision.
IF YOU DO NOT FULFILL THESE CRITERIA, PLEASE DO NOT APPLY
If further information is required, you may contact the Honourary Secretary. Email email@example.com